How fitting that I dedicate it to Isabelle & Mummy's first attempts at making her clothes!!
But I must make a special mention & thanks to her Aunty Vivienne!
Check out her websites: cutey- blog & cutey - etsy shop.
She's the reason for me taking up the hobby of sewing. She has provided me with tips, ideas, inspiration & links to tutorials to make these dresses & much much more. However, on the flip-side she has made me addicted to online shopping for fabrics, embellishments, buttons & anything! (I have to blame someone for my online shopping habit)!
I've made a few things in the past; bags, purses, aprons, pencil wraps, pj pants, toys, dresses & tops for me, & box covers. It sounds like a lot but I'm definitely still at a basic level. But as my experience grows so will my portfolio. I've decided to do a blog to document my small projects. Plus things are starting to get more interesting by making baby clothes & now I've even got my own logo/label! Maybe in the future, when I get good enough, I'll even include tutorials! And if I get even better, maybe I can sell the stuff I made or at least give things away as gifts!...but that's a long time from now.
So let's begin...
The first item I made for Isabelle is a 2 tier twirl skirt. Here is the link to another blog who provided me the tutorial for the Tier twirl skirt.
Then I thought I would get really adventurous & make a 4 tier twirly skirt!
I liked the fabric combination so much, that I decided to make a pinafore dress. There are tie shoulders and a pocket on the front plus a frilly tier on the bottom.
The blue fabric is a soft denim look linen. It's a versatile fabric which goes with everything.
Next I made a different style pinafore dress with the denim linen fabric teamed with Japanese fabric. The bottom half has box pleats. The top half is lined with the Japanese fabric & I've made my own fabric buttons with the fabric & added a bird embellishment. I thought the bottom half looked a bit plain, so I added a tie belt.
For my next project, I made a separate top & tier skirt. The 3 layer tier skirt is a patchwork of different fabrics made into a twirly skirt.
This is how it should look together:
Finally, the last dress in this post is Isabelle's 1 month celebration dress. At the time of writing this, Isabelle is a few days off being 1 month old. It's a Chinese tradition to celebrate the 1st month of a newborn so we'll be having a Chinese banquet in a few days for her with family & friends.
At first Aunty made her a very special dress for this occasion, but felt it was too big for her. (I'll save that dress for another special occasion!) So I thought I'll attempt to make a dress instead.
This dress is made out of silk dupion. Its definately not the most comfortable fabric for a newborn, but I figured since it's winter now, she'll be wearing a skivvy & tights under the dress anyway.
I don't know whether this dress or any of these dresses will fit Isabelle, as currently she's still all bundled up & doesn't stretch out much being a newborn. But hopefully they all do fit which will make all this sewing very worthwhile & rewarding.
I'll be sure to update this blog with photos of Isabelle in her outfits as soon as possible, so stay posted!

No comments:
Post a Comment